Blogs » Other » Let's start saving! Simple and smart energy saving tips

Let's start saving! Simple and smart energy saving tips

  • Every household has simple ways to save energy. Most energy-saving solutions are as simple as riding a bike and can result in lower bills as early as next month. Everyone can save, regardless of the monthly electricity bill here

    1. Make sure you have an energy efficient heating system

    The biggest potential for savings lies precisely in heating. Since in the Estonian climate it is necessary to heat for almost half a year, most of the energy is spent on this. Each heating system has its pros and cons. For example, while the initial investment required to start using electric radiators and underfloor heating may be the smallest, fixed costs increase significantly in winter due to higher electricity prices.

    If you enjoy walking barefoot on warm stone bathroom floors, then you need to know that this very comfort can have a significant impact on your electricity bill in the winter. For example, an air source heat pump is a much more economical solution than an old oil cooler or electric fan heater. If you currently use stove heating, the heat pump is a safer and more environmentally friendly option in terms of fires: there is no need to store heating materials, and the house will be warm without smoke, soot and ash.

    Now you can get the most suitable heating solution for your home from Eesti Energia! Experienced specialists will help you choose the best option for a heat pump: air-to-air, air-to-water or geothermal, advise on various models and professionally carry out the entire installation. In addition, we will make you an attractive offer for a suitable electricity package and advise you on government subsidies.

    2. Replace Devices That Ripple Energy

    In recent decades, household electricity consumption has increased several times, as the number of electrical appliances in our homes has also increased significantly. Almost every home today has at least one digibox, router, computer, kettle and many other electrical appliances.

    As a rule, when buying a new household appliance, it is worth paying attention not only to the cost, but also to how much it will cost to use the appliance during its service life. An expensive, but more economical device, often pays for itself in a couple of years. Energy class A++ appliances are estimated to save up to 45% more energy than class A, which has long been considered the best.

    3. Check your fixtures

    Did you know that old incandescent light bulbs can account for up to a quarter of your lighting bill? A simple replacement of lamps can reduce this share to 80%.

    LED lights are more environmentally friendly than halogen lights because they are many times more efficient, which means less energy consumption, which in turn means a smaller carbon footprint.

    LED lights convert almost all of the electricity used into light, with only 10-20% being converted into other forms of energy. An incandescent lamp works exactly the opposite, converting only about 20% of the energy into light, while the remaining 80% is converted into heat energy. Thanks to this, the use of LED lighting will save a lot of money on energy bills, while receiving even more light than using incandescent lamps.

    4. Stop using electricity for more expensive watches

    If you have chosen a package based on the exchange price, then it is important for you to know that the exchange price changes on the market every hour. Thus, it is sometimes possible that the price of electricity will be relatively low early in the morning, and already ten times higher during the morning rush hour.

    As a user of the Eesti Energia exchange price package, you can track the hourly electricity price using the Eesti Energia mobile app and plan your periods of high electricity consumption accordingly for better times. For example, if you are planning a sauna evening, based on the price of electricity, you can decide whether to turn on the electric heater at six or eight o'clock in the evening. As a result of more informed consumption planning, you can save about 10% of your energy costs.